I was given something today. I was offered the opportunity to write a blog for an upcoming organization that is dedicated to female young professionals. Seems weird, right? Given I'm unemployed and all. Bear with me.
I discovered this organization accidentally yesterday whilst trying to score some free swag from Yes To Carrots, my current favorite skin care line (thanks, Charlie!). Anyway, this mystery website was offering a chance to win if you signed up for their newsletter. No problem, I thought to myself, as I have my 'junk mail' email address through Yahoo for such purposes readily available for when such situations do arise. I mean, no offense to Yahoo.. we go way back. I'm just more of a Gmail girl these days, it's really nothing personal.
So I sign up for this newsletter. Then I get drawn in by the hipster type web layout they've got goin' on. Maybe this is something I'd actually be in to? I dig deeper.
Yup, totally something I'm in to. Young female professionalism. Ah, I do remember that scene. Ever so vaguely..
No part of me has ever wanted to be "just a housewife". It's just never been enough. While I'm content playing that role for intermittent periods of time, it's not what I want in the long run. And I have a feeling that it's not what a lot of other spouses in similar situations want either. But the truth is, it's not always so easy as to just go back to school, or snag a part time job working retail to fill the void.
I can no longer speak for the general population. I used to live in a big city, I used to have a job in my field, I used to have a plethora of resources right at my fingertips. I used to not be married to the military.
Things change. Mostly, for me, home changes. Now, my roots can only go as deep as three years will allow before packing up and heading somewhere new again.
Now, generally speaking, this is still new to me. We're only a little over a year in, and I'm still trying to find my way. The majority of what I know regarding work and education specific to military spouses has come from word of mouth. Yes, there are resources available... but where are they? And how can I take advantage of them? Again, I know I'm not the only one who feels this. So instead of watching the clock (or calendar, when applicable), I'd like to use that precious time to sort through the maze that is the career of the military spouse.
I was given a special opportunity today that I want to take advantage of. I think it's really great that an organization with no military affiliation that is dedicated to female professionalism could be so eager to hear from a stay-at-home wife.
I'm not mourning her today
-
I’m not mourning her today.
Six years ago this evening, my mom died. Holding my hand, surrounded by
most of her family. It was sad, devastating, and p...
7 years ago














0 comments:
Post a Comment